Saturday, October 1, 2011

Trip to Ireland - Day 9 - Train back to Dublin



Today was my last day with the tour group. Part of me couldn't wait and part of me was quite sad. I had made friends with everybody in the group and I am going to miss them. I also wish I had more time to see the rest of Ireland with them as they go to Dingle and Cork. It was a good group and they all feel like family. As I left they all gave me big hugs, even the guys. The Australians even gave me a kiss on the cheek.

This morning we went and saw some more cliffs in a small sleepy town called Kilkee. The energy of the ocean was amazing and it was quite a site to see massive waves crashing into the rocks. There was that big storm that came through and it's made for some very big waves.

We caught a small ferry that lasted about 20 minutes. Great for people watching. There was a motor home pulling this iddy bitty car looking thing. It looked more like a windup toy. Found out it's called a Peel Trident and only 45 were ever made. Here's a photo because you just need to see it. :)



I guess another highlight on the ferry ride was the 3 German guys who seemed to take a liking to me. They spoke just enough English to say hello and how are ya. After that it was all smiles and waves. The rest of my group enjoyed watching these German guys watch me. As one of the Australians put it, "it was if they'd never seen a pretty girl before." It was fun, especially knowing that nothing would come of it.





About lunch time we stopped off in a small town called Tralee. It was time for me to catch my train. I said my goodbyes and got on a nice train. I do love trains. This one was more of a commuter type train and not built for excessive comfort,though it was comfortable enough. Watching the countryside go by and overhearing different conversations was grand fun. There were quite a few different Irish accents floating around depending on where in Ireland they're from, especially in Northern Ireland.




Made it to Dublin just fine. Found something to eat and checked into my hostel. It's right by a busy road so we'll see if I get any sleep tonight, but the location is prime and the hot shower was one of the best I've had yet. I'm rooming with 2 Germans and an Australian. Nice girls. The hostel has a fun flavor and it's fun to see where everybody's from. We all have the love of travel in common and it makes for a comfortable atmosphere. I feel like people get me here because they are the same way. :-)



Oh kind of a fun thing they told us about on the tour. There is a man here named Willie Daly and he is an old Irish matchmaker. He's from this little town, but people from around the world work with him. He puts on this matchmaking festival every year and apparently he's quite successful in what he does. Apparently it's in his genes. His father and grandfather were also matchmakers. To keep up with the times he even has a website. :-) Anyway... I got teased about getting with the matchmaker to find me a match. You wouldn't believe it...everyone on the tour wants me to keep in touch and keep them posted on my relationship status. Too funny. 


Here's another Irish blessing

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow
For every tear, a smile
For every care, a promise
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem that life sends
A faithful friend to share
For every sigh, a sweet song
And an answer to each prayer.

No comments: