Friday, September 30, 2011

Trip to Ireland - Day 8 - Cliffs of Mohor

I can't believe this trip is wrapping up already. Trips always seem to go by so fast, especially when I'm having so much fun!



 Sign seen at all edges of the Cliffs of Mohor.





Today's highlight was seeing the Cliffs of Mohor. They were pretty spectacular, even if the weather was less than ideal. I just stood in silent awe for a long time watching the huge waves crash against the sides of the cliffs. I'm so glad I was able to see them first hand since photos just don't do them justice.






We saw another castle which was pretty cool. They let us walk all up in it and see everything. They have castles everywhere. You see them all along the road as if it's the most common thing in the world. I think they said there were over 300 all over the country.



You wouldn't believe the rock walls everywhere! I love them! I love the way they create little patterns in the green fields. So much work went into building them. Some of the walls have been there for hundreds of years. I made sure to take plenty of photos. :)


We saw another Neolithic tomb. This one had a great big table rock. That's where they have 2 slabs of huge flat rocks  standing and then another flat slab across the top. No one really knows how they were able to move these massive stones. Quite the site to see and they have them everwhere.





We stopped off in Galway for lunch. It quite the happening city. 120,000 people, but has a sort of small town feel. They describe it has a bohemian type of city. Lots of street performers. Definitely a different flavor than Dublin. We saw the shop that made the original design of the Claddagh ring. The ring shows two hands holding a heart with a crown on top. The saying goes "With these hands I give you my heart and crown it with my love."



Tomorrow is my last day with the group. I catch a train about lunchtime and head back to Dublin. I'll miss the tour, but am looking forward to doing my own thing again. I'm hoping to get to see a few more things in Dublin before flying out tomorrow afternoon.




No comments: