Wednesday, October 21, 2009

General Authority Run-ins

Because I work at Deseret Book Headquarters AND the Church Headquarters I occasionally run into different General Authorities. Thought I would share a few of my run ins.

Sister Silvia Allred is the First Counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency. We were doing some work on their website and had to go to the RS Building. We saw her in the tunnels and said Hi. She's super nice.


Yesterday, I rode the elevator up 18 floors with Bishop Burton. We chatted about the beautiful fall weather we are having. Very friendly guy.

Elder Russell M. Nelson just recently had a new book published and needed a few boxes delivered to his office. Since I work in the mail room at DB, I got to take them over. Normally I just deliver them to their assistants, but he happened to be there and I delivered them directly to him. I was little surprised to see him at his desk, but I said hi and he did the same. We didn't say a whole lot, but I left feeling like I had just met a very powerful and spiritual man.


Elder Dallin H. Oaks - I only saw him briefly in the lunch room they have in the Admin building on my way to make a delivery.



Elder Jeffrey R. Holland - I delivered a few boxes of books for him and he seemed to come out of thin air. I'd just come down the empty hallway, through his doorway to greet his assistant, and all of a sudden he was holding the door for me to pull my hand truck through. He said, "Hello" and asked how I was doing. Sweet, genuine guy.


President Dieter F. Uchtdorf saw me sweating while holding a heavy stack of boxes, waiting for the elevator. He mentioned that the boxes, did indeed look heavy. Unsure of what to say, I smiled and said.."Oh..they're not too bad." He smiled and left to go meet with President Monson.

My whole goal is to not say something stupid...sometimes I succeed and sometimes I just blow it. Oh well. It still totally makes my day to see them. It's almost surreal to see them in everyday situations. They're regular people, but you can tell that they have a special calling and there is a powerful spirit that they all have with them.

1 comment:

Watson World said...

You have checked off more on the list than I have. Lucky