Monday, July 12, 2010

Bow Hunter Safety

So...I may or may not have mentioned that I took a Bow Hunting Safety Class a few weeks ago. Random, yes. Let me explain.... A guy at work wanted to take the class with his son, but they had to have at least 10 people to hold the class, so he was recruiting. I figured I could take one for the team and attend. It was only for a few days and it was only $6. I'm always up for random so I signed up. Yes, I know I don't hunt and I don't have a bow. So what? They said they would find a bow for me to use. Plus...what I really wanted to do was learn to track animals so I could sneak up real close and take pictures of them. That would be my kind of shooting.

Anyway...long story short. It was an interesting class and more fun than I had expected. The last day of class, we got to go out on the range and practice shooting targets, play a game where we saw how good we were at judging distances, and track a blood trail. More importantly we got to shoot at a plastic deer. You have to shoot it in just the right spot so that it will bleed out and die. If you hit it anywhere else you just wound it and it's game over. This sweet spot is just behind the front legs. That's where all the vital organs are.

Attached is a picture of my shot where I nailed the arrow in the sweet spot. I impressed both of the teachers and all of the guys in my class. One of the instructors was like "You can't do better than that, you nailed it!" The guys were a bit shocked that they had just been out shot by a girl, who has not shot a bow since I was 18 and that was like scout camp. :) So I'm just saying...I totally rocked.

No comments: