Friday, September 16, 2011

Trip to Ireland - Day 2 - Sunday in Dublin


So I mentioned that I picked up a few things at the grocery store Saturday in Dublin. 
Here's a few pictures of what I got. 

They had Weetabix in Namibia when I was there and I loved it. They even had these granola bars which were very yummy. Weetabix normally comes in the shape of soap bars. They're dried, but you pour milk over the top and they soften and it becomes cold or hot cereal depending on the temperature of your milk. Good stuff and it sticks to your ribs. :) 

 
Mozzarella and Cheddar String Cheese
Ireland has wonderful dairy products. Yum!

 
Tea was kind of mandatory.
Everybody either drinks tea or coffee in Ireland. It's a very social thing. 
So I picked up some herbal tea and I was quite impressed. Wish they had some of this in the states.

Black & White Pudding.
Ok...so I didn't buy this, but I did want a picture of it. If you're not sure what it is, you can google it. 
It's very tasty and it's a common thing to have for breakfast. Americans seem to get a little squeamish when they find out what it is though. So...if you plan on going to Ireland and partaking of some yummy food,  don't worry about what it is. :) 



I made it to church just fine and ended up staying not only the full 3 hours, but they had a "chew and chat" after. Its like their munch 'n mingle.

Since I had forgotten my yummy snacks and my water bottle and my camera (these are photos from my phone), I decided that staying for the "chew and chat" was an even better idea. I would have stayed anyway because I was enjoying the people so much. 




Great food and so much fun to visit with these good members. I even made friends with two Brazilian sisters. It's not a big ward and there were so few of us that it seemed normal to have dinner afterwards. They're a close knit group and a very welcoming ward. I felt more at home there than I have in my own ward. Members were from all over, Congo, South Africa, Canada, Brazil, and of course Ireland. I met a guy at the "chew and chat" and he asked me out on a date. :-) Get this though, he's deaf and he did all of this through writing notes on my phone and charades. Since I was leaving the very next day with my tour group and had plans for the rest of the day, I politely declined. I was flattered though. He was a nice guy. 



The rest of the day I spent walking all over downtown Dublin. I did a bit of window shopping, walked through a cemetery, visited a few churches and cathedrals and made sure I knew where to meet my tour group in the morning.


Oh get this...the Trinity College has a first edition of the Book of Mormon. They have no idea of it's value or really what it is because they will let people pick it up and thumb through the pages. I guess you can't check it out, but isn't that amazing?! The missionaries told me that today and I tried to go see it, but the library was closed.

The weather was gorgeous today! We got some sun, some rain, and then more sun. I even got hot. :) My hair and skin are loving the humidity. I can't believe how curly my hair is.

Here's my Irish blessing for the day...
May the good saints protect you
And bless you today
And may troubles ignore you
Each step of the way




No comments: