Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Trip to Ireland - Day 1 - Dublin

I had written emails to my parents while I was in Ireland and I'd like to share them here. I thought it would be fun to share stories and photos of my latest adventure. So I'll post one post for each day. 

Ireland - Day 1 - Dublin (9/3/11)

My first day in Ireland has been great. The weather was warmer than I expected and it only rained slightly. I had used a new site called, airbnb.com to book my accommodations. It worked out perfectly. I found a great place, great location, and the price was right. I think I just found my new way of booking my trip accommodations. My host, Derek has been great. He picked me up from the airport, pulled out a map and showed me everything I needed to see in Dublin and then even gave me a ride into the city. His place is about 20 minutes out. He lives across from a shopping center so I was able to go grocery shopping and get a few things to eat during the day.
The bed I stayed in at Derek's house
The apartment building I stayed in.
I spent quite a bit of time at Trinity College. Love it there. I took a guided tour from one of the students for a small fee. Well worth it. The history is fascinating and I totally blend in. I look like all the other college students until I open my mouth. ;-) The Book of Kells was fascinating, but the library just upstairs from the Book of Kells was even more so. Over 200,000 books and they're all organized by size. The college has been there since the 1700's. It's also a medical school so they had lots of bones and things which I totally love.
Our Trinity College student guide

If I look a little out of it, it's because the effects of jetlag are about to take effect...


Saw a lot of the city with a hop on hop off tour bus. This was totally the way to go. I was able to cover a lot of ground, see a lot of things, and not have to worry about getting totally lost if jetlag completely took over and I hit that "wall".
Met a couple from Colorado who let me tag along with them for most of the afternoon. Love that I had someone to visit with and see things with.

Bikes for rent to see the city
Beautiful Georgian House. Common site in Dublin. Notice how the windows get smaller as they get closer to the top of the building. It gives the illusion of height.
Street performer also known as a busker.
 We saw buskers everywhere. Most of them do it because they love to perform. 
They're very good too.

Swimmers in the Liffy River.
Once a year, swimmers swim in the main river, called the Liffy,  in Dublin. I think they're crazy, but it's tradition. The water had to have been pretty cold and the river has the nickname, "Sniffy Liffy" because it isn't the cleanest river in the world.

We visited the Kilmainham gaol (old prison that is now a museum) and that was well worth it. Quite a sobering place.

This part of Kilmainham Jail is called the All-Seeing Eye. There's a spot where the guard can stand and see every single prisoner. It was built for a variety of mind games including: isolation, no privacy, and no control.


I've had the evening to relax and just get my body adjusted. Its been nice. I found the ward building that I'm going to tomorrow, so I'm excited for that. My hop on hop off tour is still good for tomorrow, so I plan on seeing a few of the cathedrals I missed today.

Jet lag hasn't been too bad. I was able to sleep on the plane for a few hours on the way over and stay awake the entire day. I'm sure I'll crash tonight, but be adjusted. :) Here's hoping. 

No comments: