Friday, September 30, 2011

Trip to Ireland - Day 7 - Live Irish Music Rocks!

The highlight of today was the live music we got to hear in a town called Clifton. Charming little city and the atmosphere just added to magic of the live music. In a pub called Connelly's, 3 guys played from 9:30 to midnight. They were amazing! The fiddle player was 29 and he could play anything. He played the fiddle and guitar with such ease that he almost looked bored. The way that each member plays off each other was incredible. You knew they loved their music and enjoyed playing with each other because it came through the music. The pub atmosphere just added to the fun. At one point the fiddle player started Irish dancing on the tables and then the bar while still playing madly on the fiddle. It. Was. Awesome!!! We even had a few old Irishmen just pop in to dance a jig to some of the tunes. Most people in the bars knew the words to the songs and it was one big sing-a-long most of the time. When we all got to clapping and singing, the energy of it all was incredible. I love that I was able to see that and in a way be a part of.

So half of our group was on the 5 day trip so we said goodbye to them today. It was sad to see my favorite Australian leave. She has been such a pleasure to be with and was also a bit of a buffer from this other single gal on the trip. No worries though. I'm still enjoying the tour and the people on it, but I do enjoy the time when I can escape to my room and be alone or enjoy some quiet on some of the hikes we go on.

We were supposed to visit the Aran Islands, but the trip was cancelled because of a force 9 gael (storm). We could get out to the islands, but would not be able to get back. They've cancelled all the ferry boats, which is quite rare. It must be quite the storm. Our poor guide isn't quite sure what we'll do, but I'm sure there is a lot to see. We also switch guides today. The guides can only drive 6 days at a time. We are getting a musician named Wendy. We usually get two or three Irish songs every day and the stories behind them. So fun!

So I am loving the time for tea. I bought a box of assorted herbal teas at the start of the trip and enjoy a cup or two every day. Its been nice since I've been fighting off a cold. :-).

Here's several random pictures from the day.




I finally got a shower with an actual shower curtain! I was so excited about it, but then I experienced what the Australian had been talking about. The curtain will cling to you and you spend most of your time fighting with the curtain. I guess that's why they use the half shower doors instead. It was the most bizarre experience. I don't know if it had to do with the extra humidity, the shower curtain not being weighed down, or maybe it just wasn't set out far enough. Regardless...I get it now.


We stopped by and saw Kylemore Abbey. Very pretty, but you had to pay like 10 euro to go see it up close. So this is as close as we got.



These photos were taken seriously 5 minutes a part. It will be sunny one minute and then it's raining the next. But then it's sunny again. :)


We stopped to stretch our legs and found we had company. You'll also notice that he's standing behind a bush of wild raspberries. Very yummy!








We stopped by a Potato Famine memorial. Quite haunting.



If I'd been in Ireland any longer I would have picked me up a pair of these.

No comments: